
Fighting between government troops and Communist forces near Phnom Penh reached intense proportions. A battalion of Cambodian Government troops was badly bloodied today when fought its way out of an important, encircled garrison 12 miles east of Phnom Penh. The defeat of the garrison Vihear Suor, while not in itself of major importance, is an inauspicious beginning of the dry season, which is expected to bring a renewed push by insurgents to strangle Phnom Penh. Military sources said that only about 100 of the 450 troops inside the beleaguered garrison had so far made their way to safety a mile and a half to the south through marshy country. The bulk of the defenders of Vihear Suor — which was recently elevated to capital of the truncated province of the same name — were presumed to have been killed, wounded or captured as they fought their way through insurgent lines.
According to one source, the defenders left behind several 105‐mm howitzers, which could presumably be moved forward and turned on the capital itself. Colonel Am Rong, the government military spokesman, said all field guns in the abandoned garrison had been spiked or destroyed by government aircraft. Vihear Suor, which stood astride an infiltration route leading to the eastern bank of the Mekong River opposite Phnom Penh, had been surrounded and under heavy insurgent pressure for almost three months. It had been supplied by airdrops from DC‐3’s and unable to evacuate about 50 wounded. Soun Ouk, a corporal who escaped from the garrison, said that Vietnamese troops attacked its western defenses in four waves at about midnight. “Before they always used Khmer troops, but last night they used Vietnamese,” he said in an interview at a hospital here tonight.
The defense crumbled under the fourth attack, he said, and the Vietnamese began bayoneting the disorganized defenders. An order to retreat was given, he said, and he fled into the knee‐deep water around the camp, into a nearby lake and then south toward Barong, a government‐held village a mile and a half to the south. Many Government soldiers were killed along the way, but the slight corporal was not wounded. He said he believed most of the civilians inside the garrison — wives and children of soldiers and several Buddhist monks — were slain. The corporal said a government relief column was sent north from Barong but could not progress toward the fleeing soldiers.
Early this morning Phnom Penh was shaken by heavy Government artillery fire that was intended to cover the retreat. T‐28 fighters bombed the area around the abandoned camp. The loss of Vihear Suor leaves the Government with only a few small outposts to prevent insurgent troops from slipping down the eastern bank of the Mekong and into Phnom Penh itself. There is no bridge across the Mekong to the capital, but from its eastern bank the Khmer Rouge would be able to fire on the convoy ships, which keep the city alive, as they dock and on populated.
Insurgents were on those banks last spring but at that time the Government could rely on American fighter‐bombers to attack their positions. Now the Government has only its ground and naval forces and its own lightweight air force. Elsewhere Government troops have been pushing out from their defense perimeters, but on the vital Routes 4 and 5 they have been unsuccessful. To the south of Phnom Penh a provincial capital, Takeo, is increasingly isolated.
More developments occurred today regarding Arab oil and the United States. Saudi Arabia’s oil minister Sheik Ahmed Zaki Yamani stated that the Arab world has sensed a change in America’s attitude toward Arabs. Yamani will meet with U.S. officials in Washington on Monday. Sheik Yamani told a news conference that he could not say whether he would meet with President Nixon. He will be accompanied by Algerian Oil Minister Belaid Abdessalam. Both Arab ministers are touring Western capitals to explain Arab oil embargoes and production cutbacks imposed during the October Middle East war. Their meetings with American officials are likely to be the most important of the tour, which began Monday in Paris. They also have been to London and Brussels and are to visit West Germany and Italy after returning from the United States.
Secretary of State Henry Kissinger stated that all parties must try diplomacy to settle the Mideast conflict. Kissinger said that he hopes Israel will withdraw from Arab lands it now occupies. The U.S. will press Israel for major concessions at the upcoming peace talks in Geneva. Congress is considering cutting U.S. aid to Israel by about $500 million.
The commander of the United Nations Emergency Force made separate approaches to the highest‐ranking military leaders of Egypt and Israel in an effort to get the suspended talks on the Cairo‐Suez Road started again. The commander, Major General Ensio Siilasvuo of Finland, called on General Ahmed Ismail, the Egyptian War Minister and armed forces commander, and flew to Jerusalem for a meeting with Defense Minister Moshe Dayan. Egypt hinted at not participating in the Geneva peace talks next month. Both the Egyptian and Israeli armies along the Suez are on maximum alert. Several cease-fire violations were noted.
Venezuela, a major oil supplier to the U.S., raised prices on its exports to America.
The United States has told the Netherlands that it is prepared “in principle” to come to her aid in case the Arab oil embargo causes a serious emergency for her, Administration officials said today. No specific details have been worked out, the officials said. But the State Department announced that William H. Donaldson, the new Under Secretary for Security Assistance, would visit The Hague next month “for contingency conversations” with Dutch officials. Washington officials said that the subject of the oil crisis was delicate because neither the United States nor the Netherlands wants to worsen relations with the Arabs, particularly in advance of the Middle East peace conference scheduled for next month.
The Japanese, who have been under pressure to adhere to a pro-Arab policy or face an oil embargo, announced an increase today in their contribution to United Nations aid to Palestine refugees. The Japanese, who gave $1.1 million last year, said they would give $5 million in 1974. The increase will put Japan among the largest contributors to the United Nations program. The United States continues to be the top donor and is expected to again contribute $23.2 million.
In announcing Japan’s gift at a fund-pledging conference, a representative, Shizuo Saito, said that his government was acting to ease the financial plight of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees, which faces a deficit of $10 million, Privately, however, the Japanese have made it plain that their move was calculated also to please the Arab countries that have been threatening further curtailments in oil shipments.
Secretary of Defense James R. Schlesinger said the Administration would propose the development of a new series of strategic weapons as insurance against the possible failure of the United States and the Soviet Union to agree upon further limitation of their nuclear arsenals. Among the possible new strategic weapons that might be developed by the United States, Mr. Schlesinger listed a larger intercontinental ballistic missile, mobile land‐based missiles, more multiple warheads for existing missiles and new armaments for bombers. He also mentioned accelerated production of missile submarines and bombers.
As a result of the Mideast war, and to protect oil shipment lanes, Secretary of Defense Schlesinger also announced that the U.S. Navy will maintain regular patrols in the Indian Ocean. He said that the carrier USS Hancock, which along with four destroyers was sent into the Indian Ocean after the global alert of American military forces on October 25, would be withdrawn soon and would be replaced by another naval task force built around, the carrier USS Oriskany. At a news conference today, Schlesinger also discussed Vietnam.
The United Nations General Assembly voted, 91 to 4 (with 26 abstentions) to approve the UN’s Apartheid Convention, officially the “1973 United Nations International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid”.
The government of Bangladesh issued a pardon for approximately 26,000 of the 37,000 people who had been in prison for collaboration with the enemy during the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War. The amnesty did not apply to collaborators who had been charged with crimes of violence.
A major expansion of Soviet eco nomic assistance to India was announced here today. The broad agreement, intended to cement the Soviet Union’s ties with India, provided for accelerated “cooperation” in the development of industry, power, agriculture and trade relations. The pact was part of a series of agreements worked out in the last week by Leonid I. Brezhnev, the Soviet party leader, and Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. The signing of the documents was the most significant turn in Indian‐Soviet relations since the surprise 20-year friendship treaty of August, 1971. At the time, Moscow lent official support to India in the crisis with Pakistan that led to the Bangladesh war.
Zaire’s President Mobutu Sese Seko announced in a speech to the central African nation’s parliament that his government would seize and redistribute all foreign-owned businesses. Smith, Hampton; Merrill, Tim; Sandra W., Meditz (1994).
President Nixon’s science adviser, Dr. H. Guyford Stever, signed a new accord here today calling for more specific Soviet-American scientific cooperation and indicated that it would not be affected by the controversy over Andrei D. Sakharov, the dissident Soviet physicist. When the Joint Commission on Scientific and Technical Cooperation convened on Wednesday, Dr. Stever implied that the Americans were eager to discuss the details of specific exchanges. Today he termed the discussions “a great success” and added, “We have started a stream of scientists and engineers flowing.”
America is about to begin its first weekend of voluntary cutbacks on gasoline consumption as recommended by President Nixon. An Associated Press poll indicates that 75% of gas stations will abide by the President’s request to be closed on Sunday. The President and his energy advisers met again today to discuss options for dealing with the energy crisis.
At least three major oil companies announced increases in gasoline prices, effective today. Shell Oil raised its prices 3.2 cents a gallon across the board and Atlantic Richfield said its increases would total 2 cents a gallon. Sun Oil said it would raise prices 2.9 cents a gallon on the East Coast, from New Jersey to Florida, and 2 cents a gallon elsewhere in the nation.
The White House reported that cabinet-level advisers and the President did not arrive at any decision regarding energy saving plans. Later, energy adviser John Love’s office reported that the group hoped the Cost of Living Council would come up with revisions of price controls on oil products.
Eastern Airlines curtailed its shuttle service in the Northeast. Further flight cutbacks are necessary to deal with the fuel shortage, and more pilot layoffs are expected.
Ford has joined General Motors and Chrysler in production cutbacks. GM’s Kalamazoo, Michigan, plant was the first to lay off workers because of the energy crisis. Fisher Body employee Jeffrey Kloosterman, now facing Christmas without a job, said he never considered that the energy crisis would cause him to be laid off. Mrs. Kloosterman noted that her husband’s layoff will cause bills to pile up again. Questioned about being bitter about the situation, Kloosterman said that he feels no anger toward his company, just the government.
Another side effect of the energy crisis has arrived for the holiday season. Shortages of Christmas toys are evident because of the plastic shortage. Toy manufacturers are facing production cuts and possible shutdowns. The raw materials for plastics are completely unavailable in some areas except through the black market.
Hopes were dashed for using coal to help ease the energy crisis. Coal executives reported that little or no coal is available for new purchasers without existing contracts.
Judge John Sirica announced that four of the White House tapes are ready to be turned over to the grand jury immediately. Sirica’s court will be in recess until next week while reviewing tapes for the grand jury. Upcoming witnesses include White House chief of staff Alexander Haig.
A panel of experts in New York City investigated the tape with the 18-minute gap. The panel members were agreed upon by special prosecutor Leon Jaworski and the White House. Their meeting was held behind closed doors; no comments were made to the press.
President Nixon signed a bill extending the Watergate grand jury’s life for one more year if necessary.
Egil Krogh, head of the White House “plumber’s” unit, pleaded guilty to charges stemming from the burglary of Daniel Ellsberg’s psychiatrist’s office. Krogh admitted his guilt and stated that his excuse of defending national security is no longer acceptable, but he agrees with the President’s view of the break-in. Krogh is the 12th person with the Nixon administration to be convicted of a Watergate-related crime: the original “Watergate 7”, John Dean, Jeb Magruder, Fred LaRue, Donald Segretti, and now Krogh.
The federal campaign finance reform bill has run into a Senate filibuster. The proposal is attached to a bill extending the national debt ceiling. The legislation expires at midnight tonight if there is no vote on the bill, and Alabama Senator James Allen plans to argue against the bill until midnight. However, the Senate voted to hold weekend meetings to resolve the issue. The Senate’s Sunday session would be its first since 1861.
The Senate passed legislation last night increasing Social Security benefits and, for the first time since the start of Social Security in 1936, easing somewhat the burden of Social Security taxes on low‐income families—those with a total annual income of less than $5,600. The legislation, which contains many other changes in Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid was passed in a different version in the House.
House and Senate conferees agreed today to cut $400 million from a $32.9 billion appropriations bill for the Department of Health, Education and Welfare in the hope of avoiding a veto. However, the conferees rejected another Nixon Administration proposal that would have canceled anti‐impoundment lawsuits brought by states and local school organizations to recover education funds withheld by the Office of Management and Budget. Both proposals were put forward by Melvin Laird, the Presidential adviser, who reportedly told the conferees that their adoption was necessary to prevent a veto by Mr. Nixon. The appropriations bill was $1.38 billion over the President’s budget when it was returned to a House-Senate conference by the House in a dispute over the allocation of school funds. The agreement leaves it $978 million over.
Secretary of Defense Schlesinger stated that the War Powers Act is under investigation by the administration, and the resumption of bombing in Southeast Asia may be possible without Congress’ approval. Schlesinger said he believes that President Nixon would request permission for bombing from Congress, however. Secretary of State Kissinger admitted that the War Powers Act is being evaluated, and the findings will be made public. Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman William Fulbright declared that any bombing campaign would require the authorization of Congress.
The Central Intelligence Agency has about three dozen American journalists working abroad on its payroll as undercover informants, some of them as full‐time agents, the Washington Star‐News reported. After the CIA.’s director ordered a review of the practice two months ago, agency officials found the names of 40 full‐time reporters, free‐lance journalists and correspondents for trade publications in their files as regular undercover contacts who supplied information to agents in the field and who are regularly paid for their services.
The Nobel committee reported that Secretary of State Kissinger is donating his share of the Nobel peace prize to a scholarship fund for children of American servicemen killed or missing in Southeast Asia. North Vietnam’s Lê Đức Thọ rejected his peace prize winnings.
Twelve-year-old Teddy Kennedy, Jr. left a Washington hospital after his leg was amputated. Teddy walked out on a temporary limb without assistance. Senator Edward Kennedy carried a football that was presented to his son by Washington Redskins coach George Allen.
Sci-fi author Isaac Asimov (53) weds second wife psychoanalyst and Sci-fi author Janet Jeppson (47).
The spacecraft Pioneer 10 penetrated the magnetic field of Jupiter and will continue to report more information about the planet. Data from Pioneer 10 hopefully will provide explanations to many vexing questions.
Firestone Professional Bowling World Tournament of Champions won by Jim Godman.
Dow Jones Industrial Average: 822.25 (-12.86, -1.54%).
Born:
Ty Howard, cornerback (Arizona Cardinals, Cincinnati Bengals, Tennessee Titans), in Columbus, Ohio.
John Moyer, American bassist (Disturbed), in El Paso, Texas.
Died:
Bruce Yarnell, 37, American actor (“Outlaws”) and singer, dies when single‐engine plane he was piloting crashes into northern Los Angeles county (California) mountain slope.







